Culinary Art and Hospitality Training
The François Ferreira Academy, aims to train hospitality professionals that add value to the hospitality industry.
The excellent training reputation of the FFA
The school has built up an excellent reputation for training chefs and their graduates are highly sought after both locally and internationally.
• All subjects are facilitated by professionals in their respective fields.
• Guest lecturers presenting specialist lectures and master classes on topics such as plating, styling and new directions in the culinary world.
• A maximum of 20 students taken per group, which assures them of individual attention.
• Students being placed in top class hotels and restaurants, for mentorship (practical industry experience), which often results in permanent placements once they have completed their training. Mentorship gives students the opportunity to work in a variety of hospitality sectors and to become well versed in the industry, even before completing their training.
It prepares them well for their transition into a work situation.
• The additional add-on subjects and shorter courses that provide a definite edge to the FFA students, when they enter the industry.
• The School’s belief in creating well rounded individuals and hospitality workers, who understand the importance of life-long learning, working as part of a team, training of others, and giving back of their expertise into the communities.
1. City&Guilds; A very well reputed Certification Body, whose International Vocational Qualifications (IVQ’s) for the Hospitality Industry have been trained by the FFA with great success since 2009. Up to 2017,the chefs course comprised the following C&G IVQ’s, and were completed in two years, of which 6 months were dedicated to mentorship:
- Certificate in Food Preparation and Cooking
- Certificate in Food and Beverage Service
- Diploma in Food Preparation and Cooking (Culinary Art)
- Diploma in Food Preparation Cooking (Patisserie).
2. CATHSSETA: Relevant National Skills courses such as Assistant Chef and Table Attendants. Recent changes to the South African Qualifications includes the newly established:
3. Quality Council for Trades and Occupations (QCTO) and the new South African qualification, Occupational Certificate: Chef, which will replace some of the older CATHSSETA Chef related qualifications. This compulsory National course comprises three training years and is made up of formal theoretical school and practical industry blocks.
According to recent South African legislation, all training providers must be registered with the QCTO and the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET), and training of the above mentioned National course is compulsory. The FFA’s registration and accreditation with DHET Is in process, and to comply with legislation, the FFA has decided to alter the previous Chefs programme and implement a 3 year (36 months) programme from 2019 onwards. The afore mentioned International City & Guilds IVQ’s will be presented concurrently to the National QCTO qualification.
4. Confederation of Tourism and Hospitality (CTH) is the UK’s leading specialist awarding organization for qualifications in the growing hospitality, culinary, travel and tourism sector.
CTH is Francois Ferreira Academy’s new international qualification for level 3 Foundation, Certificate courses and Level 4 Diploma courses. The qualification, specifications and assessments are continually monitored and updated with the involvement of industry experts to ensure that they remain relevant and up to date.
Assistant Chef Skills Course
This is a CATHSSETA programme presented over 6 months during which the student’s training is divided between formal classes at the academy and industry experience. Contact the Academy for more information.
Students get the opportunity to work at various facilities during their course to gain experience in order to be well versed in the hospitality industry when entering their mentorship.
- City & Guilds: (Registration no: 848354)
- CATHSSETA: (Registration no: 613/P/000158/2009)
- QCTO: (Registration no: SDP1228/18/00316)
- CTH: (Registration no: 2335)
- Chaîne des Rôtisseurs.
- South African Chefs Association.
- Cape Wine Academy.
- SKAL International